Becoming a Driving Instructor
Start your journey to becoming a driving instructor. Our course prioritises practical training for confidence on the road.
Before You Apply
Every Trent Education student needs an RMS Eligibility Letter and a Unique Student Identifier (USI) when they apply.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Your Journey to Becoming a Driving Instructor with Trent Education
Before you enrol, you need the following:
Click to expand
Before your journey to becoming a driving instructor and getting your driving instructors licence you must obtain a Letter of Eligibility from the Roads and Maritime Services (RMS). To obtain this letter, you need to undergo a series of checks and tests:
- Hold a Full Licence (for 3 out of the last 4 years) and be at least 21 years of age
- Complete a working with children check
- Pass a commercial medical assessment – PDF with your GP
- Sit the instructor knowledge test (at Service NSW), in English and without interpreter assistance (there are 90 questions in this knowledge test)
- Sit the instructor driving test (either manual or automatic) with 95% pass rate. If you complete your instructor driving test in an automatic vehicle you can only instruct in an automatic vehicle. If you complete the test in a manual vehicle, you can instruct in either a manual or automatic vehicle
- Provide Service NSW with a digital photo of yourself or 2 passport size photos (if applying at a service centre)
- Complete an ‘Application for Licence under Driving Instructors Act 1992’ and take it to Service NSW, or submit an application online
- The RMS will check your criminal history and driving records when processing your application
When these requirements have been met, the RMS will issue you with an Eligibility Advice. A copy of this letter is required to convert your qualification into a licence.
From 1 January 2015 if you are undertaking nationally recognised training delivered by a registered training organisation you will need to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI).
How To Get A USI – It is free and easy for you to create your own USI online click here.